Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Plant Based Food Meals

We recently watched Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on netflix. It made us realize how many health benefits plant based foods have and we wanted to try it. It does mean no meat or diary (there are substitutes). A lot of myths are out there that say that you need meat for protein, but there are tons of plant based foods that you can get protein from. I'm not saying we're going full force, but at least we can try it and stop surrounding our meals around meat. David is wanting to do a juice fast for a little first since he has been eating so bad and it would be easier if he travels. Mom and I (and David) made a commitment to try a plant based diet for the rest of the week, starting today! We are off to Trader Joes to start our shopping. We are only going there because we need wine and what better place to start eating better than there.

Here is our menu for the rest of the week:

Lentils vinaigrette with lemon-parsley orzo and summer squash





Source: bistrokatie.com via Jen on Pinterest

Black Bean and Guac Burritos

Soba Noodles with Sweet Ginger Scallion Sauce
Source: simplyreem.com via Jen on Pinterest

Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Casserole
Source: bistrokatie.com via Jen on Pinterest

Cucumber and Avocado Rolls
Hummus Avocado Toast with Roasted Tomatoes- for a lunch
Source: eatliverun.com via Jen on Pinterest

They don't look too bad do they? Wish us luck! I will keep ya posted on how it goes. 
Pin It

8 comments:

Jen S said...

Good Luck! I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead a few months ago and bought a $70 juicer that I used twice. Quickly realized it was going to be too expensive to juice all of that produce. It was a good documentary, though.

Chris said...

I might need to watch that. I've been wanting to eat healthier, but the problem is a lack of creativity on what I'd eat. I like the looks of some of what you have there. Specifically the black bean and guac burritos, orzo, summer squash, cucumber and avocado rolls. But that doesn't seem like a lot of protein in what I like right?

P.S. I really don't like the new Captcha stuff they added that now includes an image and text.

Madalyn said...

Wow these dishes look amazing! Need to bookmark this for when we go back to the US to try even though I can't imagine giving up on chick chick (I don't eat much red meat).

Lacey said...

I saw those documentaries a few months ago on netflix and they are awesome! They make you really step back and look at what you're eating and think about what you should be eating! Love your menu of foods, they look delicious!

Mock family said...

I'm going to hang back and watch y'all have a go at it :) I actually don't love a ton of meat so I don't think that would be an issue, good luck!

Chris said...

Had the black bean and guac burritos tonight, mmm...was good!

Marla said...

Good luck on the juicing...also got he juicer from watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead like Jen S.... It is really hard to not eat any food at all and just have juice (and expensive)! I plan to use the juicer again, to make fresh OJ mostly. The black bean and guac burrito was yummy! Will have to try some of these...I have never had lentils before, have you?

Anonymous said...

I'm always on the lookout for creative veggie recipes! These look great and I might start with the burrito since that was such a hit with C & M !!!!! Great post! G

 
Blogging tips