Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Picking Apples in North Georgia

I've been wanting to venture into the North Georgia Mountains to go to one of the apple orchards, pick my own and get cider for a while now. We scheduled a date with some of my work friends and were hoping it'd be fall type weather the 2nd weekend in September. Well, that did not work out and it was 90 degrees. Not ideal for this activity, but we had fun anyway. So we headed up to Hillcrest Orchards in Ellijay.
There were many activities for us to participate in. We watched the pig races and were so surprised with how many other people were there watching.
All the pigs had cute names, such as Elvis Pigsley, Arnold Schwarzenhogger, Donald Rump, and Tammy Faye Bacon.
We went on a wagon ride through the orchards and into the woods. They had weird characters set up in the woods, if they don't make this into a haunted wagon ride during Halloween, then they are missing out.
They had a lot of variety of apples to choose from: Rome, fuji, golden, granny smith, etc..
 The funniest part of the day had to be when Leah tried milking Buttercup, the cow.
It took her a few tries, but she got the hang of it! I'll post the recipe for apple dumplings that I made with some of my apples in a few days. Thanks to Lacey for taking the photos for the day!
Pin It

2 comments:

leah said...

So fun! I'm so glad we did it, even though we were completely soaked in sweat by the end!!

Rachel said...

hehe! we did this the other day and I was planning to post about it this week! I took that exact same picture- pretending to pick an apple! lol

 
Blogging tips