Thursday, May 13, 2010

Top Three Thursday- Books

This week's top three Thursday post is on top 3 books we've read in the past year. I do a lot of online reading at blog sites and articles on current events. My mom and sister are big readers of fiction books, like the Janet Evanovich's series. I, on the other hand, only like books where I can learn something. I like educational books on personal finance, investing, the housing market, or anything I can relate to my personal life to make it better. I might be weird, but that's just what I do. Here is my list!
1.) My favorite book I've read in the past year was Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover. I'm sure you've heard me talk about him before and it might sound a little obsessive, but I don't care. This past year on the way home I started going to the AM channels to find some talk radio I could listen to on the way home. I like to hear people talk and all I could find was sports and serious news channels until one day I heard talk about personal finance and money. Why, it was the Dave Ramsey Show! He takes calls and hears peoples problems on debt, investing, and anything money related. I liked his advice and kept hearing things like baby steps and debt free and was intrigued enough to buy his book (gently used of course). Well this book was life changing (hope I don't sound too psychotic). We just realized that living pay check to paycheck wasn't really working for us when we had 2 jobs and had nothing left at the end of the month. We are on baby step 2 and hope to be debt free besides the house within a year.I just have one more thing to say about him. We are seeing Dave Ramsey at the Total Money Makeover Live Event in Atlanta October 2nd! To say that I am excited is an under statement. Ok, I'm done now.
2.) This book was recommended to me from Leah at work. The cover looks very cheesy and all that, but its a really interesting book. It's about learning your spouses love language so you can speak the same "language". If your spouse likes words of affirmation and you never compliment them then they don't really feel the love even though you may be spending all the time in the world with them. What is your love language? Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service or Physical Touch. After reading the book I would think about people I know and try to figure out their love languages. It really explains a lot about someone and how you can communicate better with them. My love language is Acts of Service and Quality Time with Gifts as my last one. You can take the online quiz, but to really understand it you should read the book. I highly recommend it.

3.) I don't have a third. My sister and I are doing this book trading thing. We made a list of books we want to read and I take one and she takes one and then we switch to save some money. So, I'll just list some books that I am looking forward to reading this year.
-The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey.
-The Millionaire Next Door
-48 Days to the Work You Love, by Dan Miller
-No More Mondays, Dan Miller
-Good to Great, Jim Collins

What are your top 3 books, and do you have any recommendations for me with the style of books I like to read? I'm always looking for suggestions. Pin It

4 comments:

leah said...

Love all your books and am SO glad you read 5 love languages!! It really is so interesting. I think I could get just as addicted to Dave Ramsey too. I need to join in on you and Michelle's book swap, those sound like great books!

Lacey said...

Your description about the 5 love languages makes me want to read the book! (even though I don't have someone to share a "language" with) I love your informative books, but it kind of makes me feel a little immature with my fiction reads :)

Chris said...

Deleted the last one due to grammar issue...anyhow...

I guess it's half and half, mom and Shell like fiction, me and you not so much. I only read self help/investment/inspirational types. I don't think I have a specific order of a top 3, but I liked the Rich Dad Poor Dad first book, Sane Investing in an Insane World with Jim Cramer and big fan of The Secret, but more in the video version, although I read a print version but it wasn't the full length book.

I started on 3 separate books over the last 6 months or so and pick them back up from time to time....Jim Cramer's Getting Back to Even, Come into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading Stocks and Real Magic, Creating Miracles in Everyday Life...oh and one other book about trading Options...Exciting stuff, I know but they're all good in their own ways so far...

I read Millionaire next door and I have 7 Habits of Highly effective people, but not sure if I read that one fully.

Mock family said...

It is VERY safe to say that you like Dave Ramsey, I will almost go ahead and say you started a cult for him :)JK way to go! I like inspirational money books too, along with my fictional nonsense. and don't forget GOSSIP MAGS!

 
Blogging tips